Thursday, January 8, 2009

Roll on, Columbia, Roll on!

Woodie Guthrie wrote those words in the spring of 1941, after he was hired by the Bonneville Power Administration to write songs about the building of the Grand Coulee Dam.

Why is that relavent?

It's the only song lyric I know - don't ask me how - about Washington state and from San Diego, Bally journeyed all the way up Interstate 5 to the beautiful Pacific Northwest and the great state of Washington. In fact, Bally was nearly in Canada where he spent some time with Chu Chu, in Bellingham, WA.



As soon as I was out of the box, I was glad to run into a familiar logo!

With this hat and a host named Chu Chu, I knew I was in the right place!












Chu Chu was working on his Honey-Do list, so I offered to help right away. I really had to stretch my legs to make it from step to step on this ladder. Good thing I'm not afraid of heights!




















The hard work was short-lived, and the fun work started. I hopped on the boat docked on Lake Whatcom and helped get it in ship shape!















The photovoltaics check out.

Between the Flobots concert for solar power with SoCalSader, and solar powered batteries with Chu Chu, I'm becoming one very progressive green stuffed basketball!



Can a green basketball still be orange??







The kayak checks out too!

Actually I really climbed in here to meet this cute little tennis ball. Little did I know, the tennis ball was already taken by the dog! I had to keep reminding the dog all week, that I really was no fun to chew on!





















We toured around the lake a bit and came across these falls. This isn't the Columbia River Woodie Guthrie wrote the song about during the building of the Grand Coulee Dam, but they are still beautiful!











Gotta be careful up here, I didn't pack my barrel for going over the falls - or this bridge wall!






Chu Chu brought me to see a Choo Choo!
This is an steam locomotive in Bloedel Donovan Park on the west end of Lake Whatcom.

Boy the sun was hot and I'm glad I brought this hat along! Sunscreen and a plush basketball don't mix and the top of my head burns easily without a hat!
Chu Chu boats responsibly, but also knows there is nothing like a refreshing drink after a day of sightseeing on the lake! This one is just water, though.
Back at the house, however, I kicked back and enjoyed the latest issue of Holy Cross Magazine, while draining a different drink from that rocks glass - responsibly, of course!








Chu Chu, his daughter Catie, (an HC alumna, class of 2004), the dog and I finished the day relaxing on the deck in the early evening.
And despite the way the dog is looking at me, we enjoyed ourselves!
But, it time to hit the road again and head back east! I've got a busy itinerary!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Thanks Chu Chu! I'd love to visit again when we have more time!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Its a great post I must say.. Simple but yet entertaining and engaging.. Keep up the good work! solar power

    ReplyDelete